22nd Annual South Dakota Student Media Fair
The 22nd Annual South Dakota Student Media Fair will be held at the TIE Conference, where a compilation video of all winning entries will be shown.
Awards will be presented during the Festival of Technology Monday, April 22 at 4:00.
South Dakota Teachers:
Please encourage students in your school to explore the possibilities of communications through audiovisual media productions and help them participate in this annual event!
This year's media categories include:
- Book Trailers
- Commercial Print Authoring Program
- Commercial Presentation Authoring Program
- Computer-Generated Art
Productions in these categories may be entered on any topic or theme that student producers select. There are two separate grade classifications in each category. Grade ranges are:
- Middle School
- High School
- $7.00 for individual (a project developed by one person - to be judged individually)
- $12.00 for each entry from a group (2-10 people worked on the project - and it is judged as ONE entry)
- $27.00 for each entry from a class (over 10 people worked on the project - and it is judged as ONE entry
All entries will be judged in three areas:
- content and organization
- technical quality
- general effectiveness
Important rule changes for 2013:
- Rule #2 - Middle School and High School entries only. (To encourage elementary schools to host their own media fairs in a non-competitive environment.)
- Rule #6 - One entry per student, per category. (To encourage students to select their best submission, and make the judging process more manageable.)
- Rule #8 – All entries must be submitted electronically and uploaded to the SD Media Fair dropbox. There will be no hardcopy submissions for 2013.
Important additions for 2013:
- In collaboration with the South Dakota Library Association, we are adding a PSA contest to this year’s media fair. We are encouraging students to develop a 30-60 second video PSA titled “What does a 21st Century School Library Look Like?” The PSA should include examples or evidence that illustrate what goes on in today's successful school library. Students may want to check with their school librarian for more information. Additional background information can be found at http://library.sd.gov/LIB/SLC/index.aspx under School Library Guidelines and the 21st Century School Library Self-Assessment.
Important dates to remember:
- Entries and payments must be received by February 24, 2013.
- Winners will be notified by email by April 1, 2013.
- The Media Fair will be held at the TIE Conference, where a compilation video of all winning entries will be shown. Awards will be presented during the Festival of Technology Monday, April 22.
First, download the Official Guidelines HERE.
Direct questions and concerns to: Ryan Phillips
(605) 394-1876, email@example.com
Sponsored by the South Dakota Library Association and Technology & Innovation in Education in partnership with the MSET program at Dakota State University.